MILITARY OUTREACH PROGRAM
Our PMIWDC Military Outreach Program is designed to support active duty, separated, and retired military personnel understand the benefits of a project management accreditation and navigate the application and certification process.
Below are resources to assist in translating your military experience into private sector project management terminology as well as several podcasts to discover how your military experience is project-related. There is also a document to and learn the initiatives the PMIWDC Chapter is performing to help veterans.
Translating your Military Experience
- PM Point of View Podcasts: Hosted by Kendall Lott, President and CEO of MPowered Strategies; former President of PMIWDC, interviews several former military veterans who have transitioned into a Project Management career:
- #26 Military Transition - Joining the Ranks of Project Management – Discover how these separated veterans transitioned their way into project management
- #33 Security - Former Navy Seal shares his military experiences which prepared him for his role as a Project Management Professional
- #34 - High Impact Community Leaders - (At 9 minute mark) Tim Dalhouse, Retired Marine Corps Master Gunnery Sergeant, shares his experiences on how he became a project manager
- Military Networking and Educational Forums
- The Transitioning Military Project Manager, by: LTC(R) Jay Hicks, PMP; Sandy Cobb, PfMP, PgMP, PMP
- How to Use Military Experience to Qualify for the PMP® Exam, by Retired Marine Corps Master Gunnery Sergeant, Tim Dalhouse
- Translating your Military Experience for the PMP Application, by Retired Marine Corps Master Gunnery Sergeant, Tim Dalhouse
PMIWDC Volunteer Support
The Washington DC Chapter, Professional Alliance Team is actively seeking military PMP- certified members to help us share the word that Project Management is a great career option for veterans transitioning into a civil service role, government contractor supporting the DOD, or a private corporation. Please visit our Volunteer Portal to learn more.
*Please see the downloadable attachments both on top of the page and below.*
If you have additional questions or would like to learn more, please contact the program’s military liaison lead at firstname.lastname@example.org